Congratulations on taking the first step to becoming a happier teacher! I was stressed out like you once and left full time teaching after 3 years in 2005. When I returned 6 years later I had the tools to be able to cope. Here are my top 7 tips that helped me gain a better life balance:
1. Always sit down to eat lunch and don't work while eating.
2. Brighten up your environment with flowers, posters - whatever makes you happy.
3. Have strict boundaries on your time and let go of the unimportant stuff.
4. Change the way you view children's (and other members of staff's) behaviour and stop taking it personally.
5. Reduce input.
6. Build in reflection time into every day and focus on what went well. A daily gratitude practice helps too.
7. Get a coach. For me this helped me overcome my limiting beliefs and become more confident.
Come and join our 7 week Mindfulness course this September where we will be going through these steps in more detail.
To your happiness.
Founder of Happy Teachers